Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Wife Rocks

It has been an action packed year moving along at a pace that even I'm having trouble keeping up with ;) There has been no shortage of fun and adventure with plenty more on the calendar for the rest of 2008. I've been taking photos like a mad man with Karin's Soccer team "Armada" making the State Tourney, Kiersten doing her first Triathlon (Minneman) and tons of sporting events like Black Dog, TNT, GW Duathlon, and plenty of Triathlons (check out YndeCam for highlights of the top events).

I've managed to stay in reasonable shape and have quite a few races under the belt already this year as well.

Cathy continues to race well this season. She has won every Triathlon she has started in this year and even had a win at the Gear West Duathlon which was a race she was doing just to help make her tough - she didn't expect to win. The last two major races (Hy-vee in Desmoine and Lifetime Fitness in Minneapolis) were against deep fields of women from around the country giving Cathy a chance to test herself against some of the best.

I didn't race LTF since it's such a fun race to shoot so I was able to get plenty of great shots of the Pros and Cathy as well. I even experimented with HD video taped to the end of my 300mm lens which worked very well except for when I flipped the camera between horizontal and vertical shots - oops... I also periodically failed to remember to adjust the zoom level on some of my clips like the one below where Cathy is finishing the race - I got great still footage but didn't get the zoom level right until about half way through the clip. Then near the end of the clip I rotated for a vertical shot but thanks to final cut express I could at least salvage it with a cross fade and a rotation of the video. I shot this in HD Video but of course it is compressed way down for the web and the one downside of uploading to this blog is that it gets compressed even more - if I find the energy I'll post a higher def version on YndeCam. The voice of Jerry MacNeil in the background says it all in this clip.


I'll be back more often for blog updates now that many of my races and photo shoots are behind me but with all this great photo material there are plenty of post processing projects to keep me busy.